Monday, July 18, 2011

Holy Hospitality

Balloons in the hallway, brownies and flowers on my desk, hugs all around, and lunch out with the staff were what I walked into on this, my first day, at St. John's! I felt so comfortable and welcomed right away on what could have been a stressful moment walking into the unknown!

And what's more - a week ago when my family and I arrived in Charlotte, we were greeted by many helping hands from the St. John's congregation ... who had our moving truck unloaded in a matter of an hour and a half!

And even before these amazing moments - about a month and a half beforehand - I was so impressed by the hospitality I experienced during my two in person interviews at St. John's! Snacks and drinks, a written and confirmed schedule, dinner with Matt and a lunch with Father Paul, and much more!

What I experienced was hospitality. No - Holy Hospitality.

Dictionary.com defines hospitality as the friendly reception and treatment of guests or strangers or as the quality or disposition of receiving and treating guests and strangers in a warm, friendly, generous way. So some synonyms for hospitality are warmth, cordiality, geniality, friendliness. And, of course, we know that "Holy" adds that Christian flair to it!

I'd say that what I have experienced is more like Holy Hospitality because I have a profound sense that this hospitality is intentionally offered through the command and example of Jesus. In fact, what I have experienced over the past weeks reminded me of the passage in Scripture where Jesus explains to the disciples the importance and rewards of hospitality.

I read this passage from Mattew 10:40-42 as a call to hospitality. And, here, I get the sense that parents are modeling and teaching this important characteristic to their children ... hence the families that came to help me move. I get the sense that it is important to the staff of the church to be a functional family ... hence the hugs and balloons and lunch out together!

I remember learning in seminary that hospitality can certainly impact what "makes" or "breaks" a church. So, St. John's, I'd say you seem to get it! And, I thank you for the warm and loving welcome that my family and I have received from you. I look forward to the future and to serving in youth ministry with you and to learning more from you about your great gift of hospitality.

No comments:

Post a Comment