Thursday, November 17, 2011

In anticipation of NYWC - Atlanta ....

Tomorrow I am heading to the National Youth Worker's Convention in Atlanta, GA. I can't even express how excited and grateful I am for this opportunity. You see, I've had the privilege of serving in youth ministry since 2002! And pretty much every year up until 2009, I was intentional to attend some sort of ym conference. Sadly with the tanking of the economy, came the tanking of a continuing ed. budget. I know that is only 2 and a half years ago since I went to any sort of conference but to me it seems an eternity! These events are so pivitol in the life of youth ministry for me. And, I am feeling the burn, so to speak, of ... well, burnout. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE what God allows me to get up and do every day and I do know realize lucky I am to be doing it, trust me. But I just need a moment away .... A weekend to be with others who do what I do and get it. A weekend to share stories. A weekend to get resources. A weekend to sing and dance like a fool (for Christ, of course) to the amazing tunes of David Crowder Band and others! A weekend to listen for God and empty myself. A weekend to spend with my husband eating out and not worrying about bed times or alarm clocks or ANYTHING.

So when I began serving as Assistant Youth Minister in my new position this past July, I never dreamed there would be a budget for or the encouragement to attend a conference right away! So, thank you Matt Williams (my partner in crime) for offering up the continuing ed. budget so I can go to Atlanta! You pretty much rock!

Here's where I am in anticipation and prayer of the next 4 days:

1. Driving in Atlanta - yeah, not so excited about this part. I'm praying my gps will work well. Actually, several people who used to live in Atlanta have told me there is nothing to worried about. So ... we'll see.

2. Being by myself - my hubby can't come until Saturday so I'm a little nervous not knowing anyone. I've also never been to a nywc convention, so I don't really have any buddies to catch up with either. So, if you see this girl getting mugged while walking to or from the civic center for big rooms ..... HELP! All that said, I am actually very thrilled for a little me time on Friday night!

3. Information overload - there are so many workshops I want to attend and so many mentor's I want to hear a word from. After two and a half years of nothingness, I just hope I can retain it all. Usually, I would have a pre-developed plan of which ones I would attend but this time, I'm letting the Holy Spirit take over and end up where I end up!

4. Networking - did I mention I don't know anyone .... And I am an introvert who operates extrovertedly for ym? Nonetheless, I know this is an area in which the Holy Spirit is nudging!

So, here we go! I'm off to pack! See you tomorrow Atlanta!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jillian, I'm working registration from 8:00- 5:00 tomorrow but if you want to do dinner, let me know. :) I was going to DM you my cell number on twitter but you're not following me so I can't.

    ReplyDelete