Monday, August 29, 2011

CHAINS

Last night at EYC (youth group), Matt did a devotion using Exodus 3’s excerpt on Moses’ call / the burning bush! Matt talked to the youth about how we can be so much like Moses. When God calls us to do something and we feel like we can’t or we don’t want to, we tell God “no” and make up excuses as to why we can’t. Those excuses are like being tied up with chains … they paralyze us!

To help the 6th-12th graders understand this Scripture and its applicability to their lives, we did some things at youth group that involved stretching possibilities beyond what seemed impossible. In one game, the youth were challenged to fit as many people as they could into the middle of a bike inner-tube. Believe it or not, one middle school group fit over 40 people inside by stretching the tube and working together. In another game, youth were given a challenge to complete a relay that involved running through cones, jumping over a table and through a hula hoop, throwing a tennis ball, and tying someone’s shoes. That seems pretty easily accomplished (though tedious) but each youth was also given a specific way to complete the task. For example, some youth could not bend their knees, some youth had to hop on one foot all the way through the relay, some had to go backwards or with another person on their back, and so on.

Moses, in Exodus 3, comes up with all sorts of excuses and reasons as to why he can’t do what God wants. Namely:

1. Who and I to go and talk to Pharaoh and be a leader?
2. I don’t know what to say when they ask who you are!
3. No one will believe what I say!
4. I am NOT a good public speaker, I stutter!
5. What can’t somebody else do this?

These excuses paralyze Moses and he seems unable to move forward. Moses’ uncertainty, self-doubt, and fear tie him up! He has paralyzed himself by focusing on what other people think, what he sees as his own weaknesses, and by not wanting to look foolish. These are not from God, but devices and stumbling blocks planted by Satan. And, they can happen to us all!

God, I just can’t study for this test, I am going to fail anyways so what is the point? There’s no way I can wear that, I am never going to be as pretty as ____(insert name)_____. I couldn’t ask her to prom, she wouldn’t go with me anyways. I can’t apply to that college, I am not as smart as ____(insert name)_____. Try out for that team … yeah, not happening because I’m not good at that sport. Serving at the soup kitchen sounds so lame and besides, I would have to wake up early. Attend Bible study or Sunday school every week … not so much, it would be boring and I’m never going to be good enough anyways.

But God doesn’t leave Moses (or us) paralyzed and all tied up. In fact, if God left Moses tied up like that we would have a very DIFFERENT Bible. But, God does not. For every one of Moses’ excuses why he can’t do what God is calling him to do, God provides answers and creates ways for Moses to overcome these objections. Namely:

1. You are the person I picked, you are a leader, and I am with you.
2. When they ask who I am, tell them I am who I am.
3. If they don’t believe you, I will enable you to prove it to them. Hint, hint - you have a very powerful staff that will turn into snakes if you throw it on the group and when you pick it up it will be a staff again.
4. You will be a great public speaker because I will give you the words. But, hey take Aaron and he can talk for you some, too.
5. Sorry, you have to do this but again … take your brother Aaron so you have a partner to help you be successful.

To add to what Matt said last night, like with Moses, when God calls us God does create a way for us and answers our excuses, too! We just have to be able to take off our shoes and be on holy ground with our Holy God! That basically is a big, fancy, metaphorical way of saying that eventually we get to a place in our spiritual growth and relationship with Jesus where not only can we can hear God speak BUT God gets through to us, breaking those chains that Satan places around us. Finding those holy ground moments in our weeks (more than just Sunday) is so key in our spiritual journeys, even as youth.

No comments:

Post a Comment